Trying to determine whether or not your elderly loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse can be difficult, especially if you’re not sure where to look or what signs to look out for. While nursing home abuse takes many forms, there are certain warning signs that suggest the problem may be serious. If you’re concerned that your loved one might be experiencing abuse at his or her facility, here are some warning signs to watch out for to help you determine if your suspicions are valid.
Bruises, welts, or cuts
Visit your loved one at the nursing home at different times of the day and stay long enough to see what is happening. Watch to see if he or she is being mistreated by staff members. Make sure that your loved one has a private room and that they are not being neglected or abused in any way. Look for bruises, welts, or cuts on his or her body.
Sudden weight loss
If your loved one is suddenly experiencing significant weight loss that cannot be explained by a change in diet or new activity level, you may want to think about a nursing home abuse investigation. Watch for any sudden changes in the way they act, including personality or behavioral changes, increased agitation, confusion, or memory loss. You should also look out for physical signs of abuse such as bruises, cuts, bed sores, and other wounds.
Changes in mood or personality
If you notice a change in your loved one’s mood or personality, it could be a sign of nursing home abuse. It is important to note that a change in mood does not have to be extreme for it to be an indicator of something not being right. For example, if your loved one becomes more withdrawn and refuses to do things they used to enjoy, this could mean something is wrong. Even if the behavior change seems small, it is still worth investigating.
Fear or anxiety around certain staff members
If your loved one expresses fear or anxiety around certain staff members, this could be a sign of nursing home abuse. A sudden change in personality could also be a sign that something is going on. Be sure to talk with your loved one and see if they have any other concerns, especially when it comes to their relationship with the staff.
Soiled clothing or bedding
If you notice your loved one has soiled their clothing or bedding, it could be a sign that they’re experiencing neglect. It’s important to be mindful of the warning signs of abuse and neglect in nursing homes to better protect your loved ones.
Don’t Let Nursing Home Abuse Go Unnoticed: Hire an Attorney Today!
Have you recently moved your loved one into a nursing home? Are you concerned about their well-being? If so, you’re probably not alone.
Unfortunately, nursing home abuse happens all too often, with only 10% of perpetrators ever seeing the inside of a courtroom. The other 90% will never have to answer for their abusive actions, so they are free to hurt other people in the future.
This abuse can take many forms: physical, emotional, financial, and sexual; and it’s vital that you have someone protecting your loved one from these dangers during this vulnerable time in their life.
That’s why it’s critical that you hire a nursing home abuse attorney if you suspect that your loved one has been neglected or abused while in a nursing home facility in the Jacksonville area. Someone needs to stand up and fight back on behalf of nursing home abuse victims.